You are welcome to the Month of August Edition of El Shaddai Heritage
Our focus for the month of August is, CONSECRATION.
The word “consecration” according to Webster Merriam dictionary is an act of ceremonial sanctification or a state of being consecrated. Biblically, consecration means to be set apart, separated and made hallowed for holy use. It could also be described as the act of keeping oneself from unholy, unrighteous, and unclean acts for the purpose of being used by God; the purpose of consecration is to make us Holy and fit for service. On different occasions, God demanded from His people (Exodus 19;6 … and ye shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation), the Israelites, the priests, and Levites, in the old testament that they should consecrate themselves before they could minister to Him. Furthermore, we also have instances in the bible where definite steps were taken by individuals to stand out for God and refuse to be defiled as the case was with Daniel in Daniel 1:8
In the same vein, in this dispensation of grace, through our Lord Jesus Christ, God’s standard has not changed and will never change for anyone who is a Christian/disciple and enlisted to minister in His vineyard. Moreso that we believers are being referred to as a “ Royal Priesthood…” in 1 Peter 2:9. Any service rendered to God MUST come from a human vessel that has been consecrated/ sanctified.
Let me mention that the words “consecration” and “sanctification” are used interchangeably in the Holy Scriptures to mean the same thing. In Leviticus 20: 7 God said to his people” Sanctify yourself therefore and be ye holy , for I am the LORD your God”.
In light of the above, consecration can be both external and internal. In the old testament, the emphasis on external appearance to depict consecration was intended to distinguish the Priests from others, the bible says that everything we read in the old testament is a shadow of things to come. For example, in Exodus chapter 28:3 God instructed Moses “And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron’s garment to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest’s office …”. They were also to be consecrated by the pouring of the anointing oil, eating of consecrated food, and keeping of other laws Exodus 28:41 and 29:9, 29 & 33
However, in the new testament and dispensation of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, it is more of the internal or inner consecration of the heart, in other words, it starts from inside to outside. Our Lord Jesus Christ explained to his disciple that it is not what goes inside that defiles or makes a man unclean, but what becomes from with within…;
Examples of instances or cases that God demanded consecration
- Samson other and Samuel- Judges 13:2-5… And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shall conceive, and bear a son, 4) now, therefore, beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing; … and he(Samson) shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines
- Moses demanded that the people of God be consecrated as instructed by God in Exodus 32:29
Consecration in the dispensation of grace through our Lord Jesus Christ
Read the following scriptures:
Matthew 5:11-18 “ Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man”… ,
Romans 13:14’ But clothe yourself with the lord Jesus Christ (The messiah), and make no provisions for(indulging) the flesh ( put a stop to thinking about the evil craving …)
The following are steps, attitudes, and conduct of persons who have received the call unto salvation and service of the lord;
- The new birth experience of being born again is the very first crucial step to entering into consecration because a new heart is given to us at this point. Read Ezekiel 36:26 “A new heart also will I give you , and a new spirit will I put within you…” Ezekiel 11:19 John 3:16, Isaiah
- Put to death the old man that has been crucified and purge ourselves of the works of the sinful nature to make us useful vessels in God’s hand, Galatians 2:20
- Separation from the world and its way of doing things, 2 Corinthians 6:17 “ wherefore come out from among them , and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you”
- Renewal of our mind through the consistent fellowship with the word of God, Romans 12-1-2, Ephesians 5:26, 1 John 1: 1-3
- Being filled with the Holy Spirit Ephesians 5:18, Acts 9:17
- Obedience to God’s commandments is key to the consecration of any human vessel that God would use.
Consequences of rendering service without consecration
Whatever service is rendered unto God from a life that is not consistently consecrated or sanctified is unacceptable and making heaven is bleak. 2 Corinthians 6:17
Conclusion: Considering the above scriptures, whatever category you belong to in the mandate of this Mission; widows, orphans and less privileged, or ministers in his vineyard, the consecration of your life is not optional.
Written By: Pastor Taiwo Ojo